Friday, June 19, 2015

Goodbye, Lynchburg

After 7 years of friendships, failed relationships, laughter, tears, bliss, and frustration, I have moved from Lynchburg, Virginia to Indiana (living in my parents’ basement). Yes, I’m 25 and living with my parents. Imma loser. But am I? Because Kimye lived with Kris in their first year of marriage. So, maybe I’m one of the few that’s KUWTK.

When I was 18, I was either going to attend University of Arizona or Liberty University. I chose Liberty and am very grateful that I did. Not saying it wouldn't have worked out if I went to Arizona, but it's sure hard to imagine what life would be like without the friends I made in Lynchburg.

It’s a weird feeling leaving a place that you’ve spent a significant amount of time in, but then again, I hate goodbyes. Like a lot. I’ll give you an example, when I was 10, I sobbed at the series finale of Boy Meets World. My dad asked me what was wrong and I told him that I was going to miss my older brother when he went off to college, but in reality, I was just really going to miss Corey and Shawn’s epic friendship, Eric’s sense of humor, Mr. Feeny’s infinite wisdom, and Topanga, who in my mind, is in the top 3 most beautiful lead actresses, in a television show, of all time; I will fight a man, or woman if you’re in to that sort of thing, that says otherwise. So yeah, goodbyes aren't particularly my favorite. 

I woke up the last 3 mornings in Lynchburg with that feeling you get when you’re in a relationship that you know is coming to an end. I would just be architecting what the last day would look like. I would go hike up my favorite mountain, eat at my favorite restaurant, I would cry when saying goodbye to my friends, my friends would cry when saying goodbye to me, and the girl of my dreams would confess her love for me. Well, none of that happened. Actually, some chick did say that I looked cute in this picture that was posted on the Facebook my last day. Now, was this chick my grandmother? Yeah, but that’s not the point. I got recognition, which is EVERYTHING. 

The last week I was there I always dropped the fact that I was about to move to Indy to see if I could get a free drink, meal, dessert, etc. It never worked. In fact, I went to my favorite coffee shop as I was heading out of Lynchburg, and I told them that I was heading to Indy. Not only did they not hook me up with a free coffee, but they talked me into getting a breakfast smoothie with my coffee. Touché Joe Beans. Never change.

The morning of my last day, I went to get my haircut by my barber, who I’ve been going to for about the past 4 years. I didn’t really need a haircut, but I thought it would be a kind gesture to say goodbye. I got my hair cut, said goodbye to my barber, and as I walked outside to my car, I teared up. I only saw my barber about once every 2 months, so I could only imagine what it was going to be like saying goodbye to my friends that night.

When my friends came over, all of my emotions that I had earlier went away. We just laughed, drank beer, played cards, and shared memories. I wanted to cry to show them that I cared because I did, but I guess I was in somewhat of a drought. So, to the guys who were over my last night, just because I teared up when I said goodbye to my barber and not to you guys, that doesn’t mean anything. My heart wanted to cry, but my mind, and pride, were not having it.

So, I’m in Indiana now starting a new chapter in my life. Or maybe I’m just picking up where I left off when I was 18 living with my parents. At any rate, I do want to thank all of my friends in Lynchburg. You all are the reason why I stayed there for 7 years, and you all are the reason why I was reluctant to leave after 7 years. I love you tremendously. Thanks for all the memories. I’m truly #blessed by your friendships.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts.

1 comment: